Mechanical trouble and common faults
Sell a Van with Gearbox Faults
Gearboxes are a major component of any van and therefore a costly item to repair or replace. We understand this here at We Buy Broken Vans as we regularly buy vans with gearbox faults from their owners. If you are in this predicament, don’t worry we can help, we explain all about buying vans with faulty gearboxes below.
The Role Played by a Gearbox in Vans
The gearbox is used to change both the torque and speed of vans which will be determined by a range of conditions (e.g. climbing a hill or load weight). There are two main types of gearbox (manual and automatic), functionally they both convert speed into torque and therefore can sometimes be referred to as a “torque converter”. A gearbox can control the van in reverse, neutral and forward gears (typically there are 4-6 forward gears).
Common Gearbox Faults
Other gearbox issues include oil leaks, lack of alignment of gears and loose gears. Problems tend to be more complex with automatic gearboxes than manual gearboxes.
Gearbox Replacement costs
The replacement of a broken gearbox is both costly and takes time. Costs range from around £500 to £6,000+ depending on a range of factors such as:
- New or second-hand gearbox: Only on new vans would a new gearbox be justified, on vans of 3 years or more, typically it makes sense to install a second-hand gearbox (in good working order)
- Main agent / independent garage / mechanic: Costs will vary tremendously depending on who does the gearbox repairs
- Clutch also fitted yes/no: When fitting a new gearbox typically it also makes sense to install a new clutch
- Warranty validity: If a warranty is in place, this will be helpful in avoiding costs, this may not cover 100% of costs, but may cover a proportion
Costs of gearbox repairs do vary from model to model. According to data analysis by Warranty Direct:
- Manual gearboxes cost an average of £824 to repair, with 1 in every 180 having a gearbox failure in a year, whereas
- Automatic gearboxes cost an average of £1070 to repair, with 1 in every 80 having a gearbox failure in a year
So manual gearboxes cost less to repair on average and also fail about 45% as often (80/180) as automatic gearboxes.
We Buy Vans with Gearbox Failures Today for Cash!
Simply call us today on 0121 285 9859 to kickstart the process, we can usually complete the sale within 48 hours. Receive a free online valuation by visiting our valuation tool and entering all your vans details. We can also be called/texted to our mobile, which is 07582 859 859, call us today and sell your van quickly for a fair market price.
Would anyone want to purchase a van that has a number of known faults and glitches? The answer to that question is probably no. It’s the same as buying a building with structural problems and leakage issues. You have to fix it first before you can use it properly. The...
In many lines of work, a van is essential. It’s not just about getting from Point A to Point B., You could do that in a Mini if necessary. Small cars cannot meet the same needs as a van, though. The practicalities of owning a van You may need to store tools and other...
Dealing in broken vans is not necessarily a business for the faint-hearted. As you can probably imagine, we have seen our fair share of vehicles in a sorry state. Let’s take a look at a typical day in the life of We Buy Broken Vans. If nothing else, this article will...
Why sell your broken van to us?
Do you have a van to sell? But you want a fair price, no hassle and quick payment? Then you have come to the right place!