Mechanical trouble and common faults
Sell a Van in Need of Wiring Loom Repairs
What is a Wiring Loom in a Van?
A wiring loom (also sometimes called a wiring harness) is a system of colour-coded electrical insulated conducting wires, which are bound together to form what is called a “wiring loom”. Wires are neatly bundled and hidden out of the way, so they don’t appear in view. In most vans, the wiring loom is divided into sections, so that an entire section can be removed and repaired/replaced as required.
Problems with the wiring loom are thankfully rare. Here is a list of some of the most common wiring loom repairs we have seen:
- Incorrect fitting of accessories – new accessories to a van, e.g. lighting, stereo, etc. all need to be added with care to the wiring loom
- Insulation “wear and tear” – particularly with heat, areas of the loom can become hard/brittle over the years and need replacement
- Short circuits arise – (e.g. alternator, starter motor or fuse box), it’s important to diagnose the root cause and fix it. If the short circuit only is fixed, the issue may well arise again subsequently
- Trapped cable – particularly after local repairs undertaken, areas of the cabling can become trapped
- Wiring overheating – over time areas of the wiring loom can overheat and even cause a fire (particularly under the bonnet)
Modern vans are more electronically controlled than ever. This is causing an ever-increasing number of potential issues with the wiring loom. Tracing a fault within an entire wiring loom system can be very time-consuming, requiring skilled mechanics this process is therefore also very costly.
The requirement here is in the diagnostics, the better the mechanic the quicker the fault will be traced and in theory,, the more localised the repairs will be. Most van manufacturers have localised wiring circuits so that sections of the loom can be repaired.
Wherever possible it’s cheaper to repair:
- Areas of a wiring loom section or
- Sections of the wiring loom only, rather than replacing the entire loom
For many van owners, wiring loom issues are tricky, inconvenient and are the “final straw”. Even if fixed, wiring loom issues could subsequently develop related faults with electrical items such as alarm, coolant pipes, ECU, heater matrix, stereo, etc. With an unknown diagnostic bill and repair costs, many owners turn to a business like ours to sell a van complete with its wiring loom faults.
Does Your Van Have Wiring Loom Failure? Sell to us Today for Peace of Mind
If you want an end to your struggles with a van with a faulty wiring loom, then contact us today on 0121 285 9859! This type of issue tends to affect “peace of mind” and it’s good to resolve the problem quickly. Also, contact us on 07582 859 859 by text/phone to commence discussions about selling your van.
Have a question? Visit our FAQs page for help or contact our team
Why sell your broken van to us?
Do you have a van to sell? But you want a fair price, no hassle and quick payment? Then you have come to the right place!