Mechanical trouble and common faults
Sell a Van in Need of Wiring Loom Repairs
Wiring loom repairs have to be some of the most irritating and awkward types of repairs needed to a van. The skill is all in the diagnostics, which will vary wildly from one garage to another. With an unknown repair bill and concerns the van will never be the same again (particularly after a van electrical fire) many owners resort to selling their van which needs wiring loom repairs.
What is a Wiring Loom in a Van?
A wiring loom (also sometimes called a wiring harness) is a system of colour-coded electrical insulated conducting wires, which are bound together to form what is called a “wiring loom”. Wires are neatly bundled and hidden out of the way, so they don’t appear in view. In most vans, the wiring loom is divided into sections, so that an entire section can be removed and repaired/replaced as required.
Wiring Loom Issues and Problems
Problems with the wiring loom are thankfully rare. Here is a list of some of the most common wiring loom repairs we have seen:
- Incorrect fitting of accessories – new accessories to a van, e.g. lighting, stereo, etc. all need to be added with care to the wiring loom
- Insulation “wear and tear” – particularly with heat, areas of the loom can become hard/brittle over the years and need replacement
- Short circuits arise – (e.g. alternator, starter motor or fuse box), it’s important to diagnose the root cause and fix it. If the short circuit only is fixed, the issue may well arise again subsequently
- Trapped cable – particularly after local repairs undertaken, areas of the cabling can become trapped
- Wiring overheating – over time areas of the wiring loom can overheat and even cause a fire (particularly under the bonnet)
Costs and time of Wiring Loom Repairs
The requirement here is in the diagnostics, the better the mechanic the quicker the fault will be traced and in theory,, the more localised the repairs will be. Most van manufacturers have localised wiring circuits so that sections of the loom can be repaired.
Wherever possible it’s cheaper to repair:
- Areas of a wiring loom section or
- Sections of the wiring loom only, rather than replacing the entire loom
Why Many Owners Sell Vans with Faulty Wiring Looms
For many van owners, wiring loom issues are tricky, inconvenient and are the “final straw”. Even if fixed, wiring loom issues could subsequently develop related faults with electrical items such as alarm, coolant pipes, ECU, heater matrix, stereo, etc. With an unknown diagnostic bill and repair costs, many owners turn to a business like ours to sell a van complete with its wiring loom faults.
Does Your Van Have Wiring Loom Failure? Sell to us Today for Peace of Mind
If you want an end to your struggles with a van with a faulty wiring loom, then contact us today on 0121 285 9859! This type of issue tends to affect “peace of mind” and it’s good to resolve the problem quickly. Also, contact us on 07582 859 859 by text/phone to commence discussions about selling your van.
Are you ready to sell your van, but you do not know how to get a competitive offer while sidestepping the tire-kickers and time-wasters that are commonplace if you go private? We Buy Broken Vans is the answer to your prayers, as our service is set up to help...
There are common van faults which impact many makes and models of commercial vehicles, regardless of their origins. However, each manufacturer has its own set of quirks and pitfalls associated with its products which are worth discussing in isolation. This is useful...
To sell a van quickly you have several options available to you, although not every avenue will be without its pitfalls to take into account. So, if you want to remove the stress from shifting a second hand van as swiftly as possible, what is the best way to go about...
Why sell your broken van to us?
Do you have a van to sell? But you want a fair price, no hassle and quick payment? Then you have come to the right place!